The Suzuki Association
What is the Suzuki Talent Education Association of Aust. (NSW) Ltd : (STEAA (NSW) Ltd)?
STEAA (NSW) Ltd is the elected administrative body for the Suzuki Method in New South Wales and the ACT. It is the only such body in NSW and ACT endorsed by the International Suzuki Association. The main functions of STEAA (NSW) Ltd are:
- To encourage the use of the Suzuki approach to music education by sponsoring or conducting conferences, workshops, lectures, demonstrations, etc.
- To maintain and improve the standards, understanding and teaching of the Suzuki Method.
- To provide teacher training and assessment of teachers leading to accreditation.
- To disseminate and publish information on the Talent Education movement.
- To maintain links with other Suzuki bodies nationally and internationally.
The STEAA (NSW) Ltd Board comprises teachers and parents who are elected at the Annual General Meeting. Any financial member is eligible for election.
Why join the Association?
For anyone who is studying an instrument with an accredited Suzuki teacher, membership of the Association is compulsory.
- Access to the only accredited Suzuki teachers in New South Wales and the ACT.
- Access to Suzuki events such as workshops, concerts, graduations and other special events, many with special guest tutors and artists from interstate and overseas.
- Quarterly Newsletter containing helpful articles and information on events.
- Opportunity to gain recognition by graduating via attaining internationally recognised, prescribed levels of the Suzuki repertoire.
- Becoming part of a national and international community of Suzuki families and teachers.
- 5-10% discount on merchandise purchased through Talent Sound Enterprises, the official retail arm of STEAA (NSW) Ltd
How do I find a qualified Suzuki teacher?
STEAA.(NSW) Ltd keeps an updated list of qualified teachers in your area. Even if you have found a Suzuki teacher on your own, it is advantageous to check with the administrative office to verify their qualifications are current.
When choosing a teacher from the list of accredited Suzuki teachers, it is recommended that you arrange to observe some lessons to see the Suzuki Method in action and to see if the teacher’s style suits you.
Fees are set by each individual teacher.
What qualifications do teachers have?
All accredited Suzuki teachers must pass entry requirements and undergo specialised training to teach the Suzuki Method. Once accredited, teachers are expected to participate in teacher training workshops to ensure their professional growth and maintain their teacher status. (Read more about Teacher Levels.)